Monday, 26 November 2007

Don't worry, it wasn't a bomb

News flash! This morning, a suspect package was discovered outside the office. The office manager asked all people sitting by the window, to move away from the window immediately!
I sit by the window, but for some unknown reason this message did not reach me, so I carried on regardless until I noticed people in the office staring at me. Have I got something hanging off the end of my nose? I thought to myself. Do I have a piece of toilet paper stuck to my head? Not being able to stand the paranoia any longer, I asked my colleagues what was wrong. It then became clear that the suspect package/move away from the window message had skipped me.
“Maybe you’re 100 per cent bomb proof?” Someone in the office said.
“Or maybe they think you are easily replaced?” Someone else in the office said.
Thanks for the last comment. I feel utterly appreciated and valued now.
Paranoia, and sarcastic comments pushed aside, the suspect package was a false alarm. Which was just as well really.

I hope you all had entertaining weekends, without any security alerts, or demeaning comments.
You can breathe a sigh of relief, as our boiler has been fixed, so this weekend, warmth and hot water has been restored to my home. Although my mother waited in a whole day for the plumber to arrive. He didn’t arrive so she called him the next day to ask when he would arrive. Apparently he forgot about us. Not a very good advertisement for your company Mr Plumber! Imagine if I had forgotten to come into work today. Mind you, as it has been pointed out, I could be easily replaced, so it’s probably a good job I did remember to come in.

Picture of the day:

Did you want something?

15 comments:

Kate said...

I'm sure those comments were meant in a humourous and loving way! LOL!

I'm envious of your heat. The boiler in my school is broken, and our office is about 55 degrees. The school cook made burritos, but instead of eating them, I'm stuffing them in my clothes.

JYankee said...

glad to hear your boiler is fixed..yeah for warmth... and laugh at the bomb threat..yes you are truly invincible!

Blur Ting said...

Oh dear, not good to have suspicious packages at your doorstep...

While you've fixed your boiler problem, I am fretting about our aircon in YK's room. It had stopped working for a while now and our regular repairman couldn't fix it after several attempts. I just called a new air con company and they're coming tomorrow. I hope to put an end to YK's nagging about the heat and rashes...

Nick Phillips said...

I'm glad that package was a dud! And don't read too much in the comments. I'm sure there were done in jest :) I'd have done the same too if it happened to me ... LOL!

Glad the boilers fixed. Can you 'forget' to pay the plumber? LOL!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

I'd like to think the comments were made in a humourous way!

Sorry to hear about the cold school. I know how that feels! Hope it gets fixed soon. In the mean time, keep stuffing your clothes!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

I'll go with that - I'm bomb proof and I'm invincible!

Hope you are well.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

Yeah all joking aside, suspicious packages these days are quite a scary prospect.

I hope the air con man remembers to come round and it's soon a nag free and rash free home!

The World According to Me said...

Hey Nick

How are things with you?

Luckily the package was a dud!

That's a very good point, forgetting to pay the plumber!

Blur Ting said...

I was looking at your profile photo taken in Singapore... we used to have that huge fish at home. It's called an arapaima. My brother bought the baby one and left it in our pond. It grew and grew into a monster! Dad bought loads of fish to feed it everyday. When it became around 6ft long, our pond became too small for it to swim around, so dad got the workers to build a large circular pond in the yard...but the trouble is, how to move that huge monster into that pond? One day, it just died. Such a shame.

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

The world really is a scary place, isn't it??

And if someone asks you if you think you can be replaced, chances are that means you CANNOT!! : )

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

Thanks for the fish name. I couldn't remember the name, so I ignorantly called it 'Big Fish' !

Yours grew to six feet long?! That is a long fish! Sorry to hear it passed away before it could be re homed in the bigger fish pond.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Katherine

How's life been treating you?

You are right, the world can be a scary place.
I remember after the tube bombings in London, I was so nervous about boarding them again and it took me ages to relax and have a worry free journey. Sometimes it's still at the back of my mind.
But I guess you have to get on with your life and be extra vigilent at the same time.

I'll go with the can NOT be placed sentiment!

Mike M said...

Tag!!!! You're it! Come see

Anonymous said...

You're irreplaceable (sp!) baby xxx

The World According to Me said...

Why thanks anon. Same to you! xxx