Monday, 15 October 2007

The Prince and the Pauper

Happy Monday. I do hope everyone had a satisfactory weekend. As for me, my weekend involved a dinner date with two of my oldest friends, two visits to the gym (that’s a world record for me, visiting the gym twice in one weekend), receiving my new mobile phone handset, watching a Feng Shui DVD, and watching my first rugby match, England verses France. England won, so world cup final here we come!
Friday at 5pm was when it all began. I left the office and hurried home to prepare for my dinner date. My oldest friend, Clare, who now lives in Scotland, was back in Essex for the weekend. When I say my oldest friend, I don’t mean she is 101 years old, I mean I have known her since I was 4 years old. That’s the longest time that I have known any of my friends. I have many photographs of us as little girls, playing in her paddling pool and playing with her Dalmatian dog, who incidentally had one blue eye and one brown eye. I’m sure you will agree that it’s quite unusual for a dog to have one blue eye and one brown eye.
Anyway, I collected Clare at 8pm on Friday night, in my not-so-new-now car and we stopped off at our mutual friend Laura’s house. Laura and I attended the same senior school, but it wasn’t until we left school that we became firm friends. So, all three of us, happy to be reunited, went to a nearby restaurant called Nandos, for some culinary delights.
I ordered a veggie burger and a Nando’s salad, with orange juice. See, I don’t always have to drink wine to have a good time. We ate, drank and talked the night away. We were actually the last people to leave the restaurant, when we suddenly realised that the floor was being cleaned and all the waitresses had their coats on and were looking impatiently in our direction. Whoops. Time to leave. It was a great night though.
Saturday morning, I was disturbed from dreamland by a knock at the front door. A little grumpy and still sleepy (hmm, that reminds me of a story about seven dwarfs) I left the safety and comfort of my bed to open the front door. My mood changed when I saw a man holding a box. It was my new mobile phone handset! I have only just sussed out how to use it, and my old handset is being sent to the recycling company, Envirofone. As well as doing my bit for the environment, I will receive a cash payment in exchange for my handset. Not bad hey. This will be my sixth mobile phone, if my calculations are correct. I will try not to leave this one on an aeroplane, or in a bar, or drop it in an ice bucket.
For the remainder of the weekend, I happily watched calories being exercised away at the gymnasium, and tried to expand my knowledge by watching a Feng Shui (used to be called Kan-Yu which means 'law of Heaven and Earth' but now it means 'wind-water') DVD and trying to understand the rules in the semi final rugby match. I think I have the hang of this rugby lark now, but the main thing is, England are world cup finalists. Another excuse to drink wine and visit a pub next Saturday. As if I need one.
Talking of rugby, my friend Sarah has just texted me a picture of herself and a certain someone she met at the weekend. This certain someone just happens to be Prince Harry! Apparently, they were both in France at the weekend, to watch the rugby match, and staying in the same hotel. He happily posed for a photograph with her, and accompanied her and friends to a French nightclub.
Hmm, okay, my weekend wasn’t quite as exciting as hers, but I do try.

Picture of the day:

Pansy time.

13 comments:

patience of a saint said...

Bloody hell what a claim to fame, not only a photo with prince harry but inviting him to a night club, WOW. V impressed at your visitS to the gym you are very disciplined. What phone have you now in your possession?

Blur Ting said...

Wow, going to the club with Prince Harry! Fancy that!
Your weekend is not that bad either.

JYankee said...

wow a photo with prince harry..... cool! must post THAT photo!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Patience

Of all the people to meet! And she met the England rugby team.
I am now the proud owner of a Nokia 6288. It isn't all that flash to be honest, but I've got a really good deal money wise.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur ting

I know, fancy that! I couldn't believe it when the picture came through.
Apparently her brother texted her that evening and she texted back 'speak to you later, I'm in a taxi with Prince Harry on route to a night club!'
Now, that's one text I would like to send!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

I haven't got my adapter thing with me today, and I'll ask my friend first if she minds me posting it!
Hope you are well.

seagrape said...

clubbing with Prince Harry -- wow :)

Donna said...

Hey you! thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment...I often wonder who (if anyone) is reading my blog! lol!

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend (even if you didn't get to meet the Prince - you got to hang out with your girlfriends, which is probably more fun and relaxing in the long run anyway!). I love the pictures you have posted on your blog and I intend to spend some time here nosing around. =)

You and I have something in common...WINE! And you are so right - one glass is just never enough! =)

The World According to Me said...

Hi Seagrape

It's not your average night out, is it!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Donna

Thanks for coming over to my world!
I couldn't agree more, one glass of wine is never enough!
Glad you like my pics. Will be over to you again soon to admire your arts and crafts.

Anne Lyken-Garner said...

Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. I'm posting a third excerpt from 'Sunday's Child' later this week. Feel free to pop by anytime.

...But why pink elephants?

The World According to Me said...

Hi Anne

Will be over to you soon for the latest instalment.

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I have no idea why I called the blog Flying Pink Elephants! It just popped into my head while I was thinking of a name.

lucy said...

Well done for using envirofone. Considering that most people change phones every two years and most of those go into landfill sites its good to see people taking a more responsible attitude.