Tuesday, 30 October 2007

On this day

Did you know, that on this day in 1939, Orson Welles first broadcasted his radio play 'The War of the Worlds' causing nationwide panic in the United States?
And in 1944, Ann Frank was deported from Auschwitz to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.
On October 30th in 1960, Michael Woodruff performed the first successful kidney transplant in the United Kingdom, at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
In 1945, Henry Winkler, otherwise known as 'The Fonzie' from the television show 'The Happy Days' was born.
In 1971, my parents tied the marital knot and became man and wife.
And on this day in 1973, at approximately four o'clock in the morning, I entered this world.
Happy Anniversary mum and dad! Happy Birthday to me!
I've been a lucky girl today and had lots of nice cards, birthday texts and great presents. I have even received a Happy Birthday email from the George Michael fan club.
This evening was the traditional family birthday/anniversary tea. Which meant my relations came to the house bearing gifts, and we all ate far too much cake. It was considerably noisy at one point, due to four children all under the age of four, hopping, running, screaming, crying and pretending they were Harry Potter.
Peace has once again descended on the house. My relations have left the building, and I am admiring my birthday flowers and chocolates. And my mother has just pointed out that I have baby sick on my top. Time to remove the offending item and put my new pyjamas on. The ones with pictures of little pieces of chocolate all over them.
Ever get the feeling that I like chocolate?!

Picture of the day:

Birthday chocolates.

13 comments:

JYankee said...

wow! a lot of GOOD things happened on this day. COngrats! cant see your photos on this puter... wonder why? i try again later...

Leigh Russell said...

Happy Birthday! I love your blog but was shocked to see snails shamelessly fornicating in full view of your camera. Shouldn't your blog be an 18 to warn poor innocent unsuspecting bloggers.... !! On a more serious note, the sunflower is gorgeous. Many Happy Returns of the day. It's my oldest daughter's birthday today. Unlike her, you managed to miss being born on Hallowe'en!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Thanks for the congrats. I hope all the Beans are well.
Not sure what has happened to the pics? They were fine last night! And I haven't got my camera adapter with me today. How annoying.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Leigh

Thanks for the birthday wishes and for coming over to my world!
I hope you have got over the snail shock!
Happy Birthday to your daughter. Will be over to you soon.

Leigh Russell said...

yay! I have a new blogbuddy. By the way, did I tell you, I have three pink elephants flying across my wall? Some people think they're made of papier mache and were made by an art teacher as part of a set for a school drama production, but I find that a pretty ridiculous idea!

I can see the pictures and they're lovely. Apart from the former mentioned, but I've learned to shield my eyes as I pass that one....

The World According to Me said...

Hello again Leigh.

I like the sound of your flying pink elephants! More evidence that they exist.

Can you, or anybody else out there, see the pictures of the day from this blog?

Mike M said...

Tag!!!! You're it! Come see

The World According to Me said...

Thanks Mike! A very thoughtful tag. I'll get cracking on it.

seagrape said...

Happy Birthday!!!
I can't see the pics either, be back later...

Blur Ting said...

Happy Birthday! What a happy coincidence it's your parent's anniversary too! I can't see the pictures too.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Seagrape and Blur ting

Thanks for the birthday wishes.
Unfortunately I will have to down load the pics again. But I'm a dirty stop out - I stayed at a friends last night so haven't been home for my adapter yet. Will put them back up tonight, along with my halloween pics! Hope you both had a pleasant halloween.

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Holy caca! Your birtday is the same day as your parents' anniversary?? How did they manage THAT? How cool!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

The 30th is also my younger brother's birthday. He turned one quarter century this year.

Thanks for all the history. I will be sure to pass it on!!

Congrats to your parents. Staying married is something to celebrate!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Katherine

Cheers for the Happy Birthday.
Happy Birthday to your brother too.

It is quite a coincidence that I was born on my parents anniversary. Mind you, I should have been earlier but I just refused to budge! My mother is often reminding me that I am still like that in the mornings - curled up in a ball and determined to stay put!
I was also, apparently, one of the greediest babies the nurses ever did see! Some things never change hey!