Sunday, 7 October 2007

In the boot

Car boot sales, someone else's junk can be someone else's treasure! Isn't that what they say? I went to a car boot sale today, and I rummaged through a fair amount of junk, searching for my treasure.
I did discover a book 'A house of light' by Candida Clark which I purchased for 50p. I am yet to read one of her books, but according to the Irish Independent: 'Candida Clark is an author of breathtaking talent. She writes like an angel about the legacy of loss and the pain of moving on, the secrets and lies that cast shadows over our lives.'
Stupidly, I left 'I capture the castle' on the train, although my friend Caron has come to the rescue again, as apparently she has this book on her book shelves, so at least I can find out how it all ends. In the meantime, I can read 'A house of light' before my dinner date with Caron.
My father bought a garden plant, which is normal procedure for him at car boot sales. 'Crocosmia mixed' is the name on the colourful cardboard card, supplied with the plant. As well as the usual second hand stalls, there were many people selling brand new items such as, plants, bags, cosmetics and jewellery. One stall contained eye catching hand made jewellery, and this solved another Christmas present for my aunt. (I will have to discourage family members from reading my blog, otherwise at this rate, they will all know what presents they are to be given!)
I have been on the other side of the stall at a few car boot sales. It's good to have a clear out every now and then and pass things on to a new home. Some years back, I made a small fortune at one particular boot sale. I had decided to depart with my leather jackets and boots, and other clothes that were in good condition and had well known brands on the labels. As I was unpacking my car, I actually had people trying to stick their heads in my car and their hands down my boxes, trying to spot a bargain before anyone else! This was about 6am in the morning. How eager is that!
I'd also made special occasion cards and painted glass objects to sell. It was lots of fun being creative, and even if I do say so myself, the cards proved to be very popular and it gave me great pleasure to see people picking them up to admire, and actually handing over money to pay for them.
The hand painted glass objects sold well too, although various people tried to barter us with the price and didn't appreciate that the items were purchased first from second hand shops, and then took us ('us' being a crazy ex boyfriend and I) ages to paint, to make them look half decent.
Well, I am back from rummaging around in a field now, and I decided to surf the net and write my blog, before curling up with my latest boot sale bargain book.
Bye for now.

Picture of the day:

The delightful Dahlia's.

12 comments:

JYankee said...

that is cool and how organized!!! christmas presents already??? i dont even bother anymore..and use living here as an excuse! i know..totally awful of me....

Anonymous said...

Hey hon - the Dahlia's picture isn't coming up for me - not sure if it's my machine or not though !

Missing you on email today - lots to discuss xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

I'm not really that organised, just have a lot to get! I don't have your excuse I'm afraid!
Hope you had a nice weekend.

The World According to Me said...

Hi anon

I have re loaded the pic, as it didn't come up when I logged out and then went back in!
I hope it displays okay now?

Just sent you a long winded e mail. xx

Kate said...

...Which reminds me...How did the e-bay sale go?

Mike M said...

I love yard sales!! Some cool stuff there

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Gorgeous flowers!!

Yard sales are too fun. So is eBay!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

Didn't make as much as I'd hoped on e-bay, but it was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! And I hope to think my clothes went to a good home. Thanks for asking!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Mike

I agree. You never know what you are going to find, and I have stumbled across some good finds in the past.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Katherine

I'm glad you like the flowers. I thought they were very pretty too.
Hope you are well.

seagrape said...

I would love to see the cards and painted glass objects you created.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Seagrape

I didn't actually keep any of the cards and glass objects. I decorated the cards with everyday things such as cotton wool, string and buttons, and made pictures of clowns, balloons, champagne bottles etc. I keep saying I'll make more cards when I get the time. But this Christmas I am definitely doing so!