Wednesday, 26 September 2007

Magic mushrooms

We are launching a new magazine in the office. I have repeated this sentence to various contacts and friends, and the reaction has been more or less the same. People seem to become quite excited and express great enthusiasm towards launching a new magazine. “Sounds exciting,” a friend said only yesterday.
Allow me to let you into a little secret - it is not very exciting. Of course I realise it’s extra business and revenue, and this in itself is a good thing, and it’s keeping my mind occupied, which is another good thing. But exciting is not the first word that springs to my mind when I think of this new magazine.
If we are talking exciting, personally I think the following would be rather thrilling – winning an all expenses paid, luxury holiday, in a far away exotic location, or finally meeting my favourite singer and songwriter, George Michael. As both of these dreams seem highly unlikely at this present moment in time, I shall carry on regardless with my specification sheet, flat plan, print order, mailing order and colour proofs, for the new magazine.
As well as the new publication, we are are using a new printing company for the finished product. They seem professional and reliable to me, with an impressive clientele and the all important, competitive rates. A couple of months ago myself, my new boss, and the extremely tall publisher, visited their premises, and we got completely lost in the process. Maybe it’s my influence? It’s not the first time someone has lost their way in my presence.
Anyway, today the new printers were due to visit our neck of the woods, and take the production department (all 2 of us) for lunch at a near by smart but cosy restaurant. Due to illness this lunch date had to be cancelled, as the account handler from the printers can not stop being sick.
So, without further ado, I’m off to buy some magic mushrooms for my lunch. No need to fret, in the middle of the new printers and new magazine drama, I have not turned to recreational drugs to ease the pressure. I am merely referring to the label on the Sainsbury’s lunch box containing organic mushrooms, egg noodles, smoked tofu, ho-sin sauce, broccoli and sesame seeds. Nice.

Picture of the day:

Pretty in pink.

10 comments:

Kate said...

Your lunch sounds YUMMY! Way better than the leftover pizza I brought today. So, what's the new magazine about?

JYankee said...

it sounds glamorous because the end product is soo...not all the work it takes into launching it! and magic mushrooms...lunch....i thought you was gonna snort some! LOL

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

The magic mushrooms come recommend from me!
Left over pizza is always good in my eyes though!

I work in the telecommunications and media department, and our new mag is called WiMAX Vision.
Just a little brief outline - WiMAX, the Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access, is a telecommunications technology aimed at providing wireless data over long distances in a variety of ways, from point-to-point links to full mobile cellular type access.

So now you know!

The World According to Me said...

Hi JYankee

I can honestly say that I didn't snort the mushrooms!

I have to admit I do enjoy my job, but the new mag is not what I would describe as glamourous. For one thing, it doesn't contain any photos of my car keys! But I'm working in it...

Blur Ting said...

Yah, a luxurious getaway sounds like the best magic mushroom to me :-)

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur ting

How are you? I could do with a luxurious get away right now!

Rebecca said...

It is exciting to launch a new title, at least from my perspective :) I've done it twice in my career, and love the whole midwifing process. but I am not doing the hands on production work, I am doing the circulation stuff. Audience gathering, postal permits, audit data...digital or no digital. But in no way can you can business to business publishing glamorous :)

And your lunch does sound yummy. Going to go grab a salad in a few....TGIF

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

Oh. I was about to argue with you that any kind of publication is exciting. But now that you told me what WiMAX is...

GAWD BLESS YA!!

patience of a saint said...

Hello FPE, sounds very interesting to me NOT. But like you say its all good for business. Shame about the cancelled lunch though, sounds like your magic mushroom lunch made up for it though. x x x

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

Here's to more exciting publications!
Hope all is good with you. I must come over and see you....

Hi Katherine

I must admit, as I was typing my brief WiMAX outline, I wondered if I had sent everyone to sleep!
Hope you had a nice weekend, will be paying you a visit soon.

Hi Patience

How you are honey? Magic mushrooms did the trick! Look forward to seeing you soon. xx