Monday, 6 August 2007

The unexpected twist

As weekends go, it has been a good one, with an unexpected twist.
The weather has perked up, and it has been glorious sunshine all round. Although the heat has been a little stifling at times (are we ever satisfied?)
As you will know if you read ‘ Media Solutions Away Day – with historical facts’ the office shuts early August Fridays. I think it was just as well last Friday, as I doubt very much it would have been a productive day. I took my slightly jaded self home and sat in the shady part of the garden, reading the latest adventures in Harry’s life. I have nearly completed the book, and I am surprised, but pleased, that I have not read or heard of any leaked plots from the media.
Saturday was met with a welcome lie in and the ‘thank goodness it’s the weekend’ feeling. I then went to meet my friend Laura. We spent the afternoon wondering around acres of land belonging to the Royal Horticultural Gardens. Established in 1804, the Royal Horticultural Society is the UK’s leading gardening charity dedicated to advancing horticulture and promoting good gardening. I have a link if anyone cares to take a look: http://www.rhs.org.uk/about/index.htm
We admired flowers and plants and enjoyed the sunshine while eating our cheese wraps and drinking our elderflower wine. During our garden visit, my friend Helen telephoned with news of a Volkswagen motor vehicle for sale, within my price range and literally around the corner to the house she shares with car mechanic husband and seven children.
Immediately images flashed through my mind, images of me zooming around inside the vehicle, with my favourite tunes on the CD player. I telephoned the seller, and arranged for me to view the car the very next day.
The very next day was spent trying not to get too enthusiastic and hopeful regarding the Volkswagen. I was particularly disappointed when the Car Without Key/With key turned out to be a potential liability, so I was trying to protect myself from another great big reality fall.
When the arranged time arrived, I borrowed my friend’s husband and off we went to check out the car. First impression was - I can see myself driving that, but must not get too carried away! Friends husband done all the necessary checks and I found myself caught off guard, the car was in full working order, and it even received compliments on the engine and condition!
Friends husband negotiated the price (never pay full asking price, said he), money was exchanged, and I found myself filling in the New Keeper details. So it’s official, I am the New Keeper for a New (to me) Car.
A celebration Indian take away was devoured with my parents, on return from the appointment. It’s been a while since a chicken korma has passed my lips, and it was just what the doctor ordered.
The weekend was rounded up by me lying on my bed, all windows open and electric fan blowing, watching ‘Educating Rita’. Superbly acted by Michael Caine and Julie Waters, it’s a thoughtful, funny and sad tale. But my mind repeatedly wondered to happy thoughts of my new car and I.
I think this could be the start of a beautiful relationship. And my first step towards living an independent life once again.

Picture of the day:

August in bloom.

4 comments:

JYankee said...

good you had a good day.. need photos of the new car....? can we see it?

patience of a saint said...

Miss Flying Pink Elephant, I am so happy for you, I really am. All you need now do is pick a name for the car with no name and stay away from cinema car parks. XXX

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

I'll see what I can do with regards to the picture of car! It's nothing too flash or too new, but it's all mine and you can count on me to take good care of it.

Be over to you at lunchtime, have to nip off to a meeting now.

The World According to Me said...

Hi patience!

I would like to thank you again for spotting the car for me. Thanks mate. First thing I did this morning, was rush to my bedroom window to take a look at it!

Will be over to you at lunchtime too xx