Tuesday, 28 August 2007

The last one

It was back to work today, after a nice, long bank holiday weekend. The last bank holiday weekend of the year for us English.
In fact, the next public holiday for me, is wait for it, dare I say it - Christmas Day. 119 days away.
I can't believe I am talking about Christmas Day in August, but I had to know when my next official day off is. And quite frankly, it's too far away. So I am fairly relived and grateful that I have a few days annual leave remaining, otherwise I don't think I would be able to cope with life. (Sorry to add insult to injury if any working Englishmen/women reading this have used and abused all their statutory holiday!)

This August bank holiday, the sun has actually been shining down upon us, which always makes a difference. I have seen various friends, eaten and drank in various restaurants and bars, and visited a local craft fair. I was debating attending the traditional Nottinghill Carnival, but after reading that two people were shot (not fatal, thank goodness), 336 crimes were reported, and 206 arrests were made, I am glad that I did not bother.
Today's pictures of the day are a couple of scenes from my weekend.
Oh and did I mention that Great Britain and The Netherlands have the least bank holidays in Europe? No, well consider it (unfairly) mentioned.

Pictures of the day:

The Cats


The Butterfly

14 comments:

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt said...

WOW! Love that pic of the cats. Do you take these yourself?

Can't believe you have to wait ALL that time for a day off. That's a bit much. We have weird American holidays before Christmas--Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving. But I suppose you all don't celebrate America being "discovered" do you? LOL

JYankee said...

man,, i need a VACATION and i just had one....

The World According to Me said...

Hi Katherine

Glad you like the cats picture. Yep, all photographs on my blog are taken by me on my digital camera. It's permanently attached to me!

I agree, 119 days is far too long to wait for the next public holiday.
I'm on for celebrating America being 'discovered' if it means having a day off!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Vacations have that affect don't you think, you always want another one straight after!

Blur Ting said...

Heeyy! When I see the icture of the cat, it reminds me of a photo I took in an Italian vineyard with flowers growing in their front yard. The angle and composition is so similar but it doesn't have a cat in it. You can find it here in an old post but you've got to scroll all the way down.
http://blurting.blogspot.com/2007/07/italy-travelogue.html

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur ting

I have scrolled down to your pic on the link, and I see what you mean.
You have some stunning, interesting pictures on your blog and I look forward to viewing and reading more.

patience of a saint said...

That is seriously a long time until the next bank holiday and as I am typing outside on a lovely summer's day it is hard to imagine christmas. Maybe we should petition the government to add extra bank holidays.

Glad you stayed clear of Nottinghill Festival, that is a lot of incidents for such a short amount of time.

Defo up for next sat if you are will book it danno x x x x

The World According to Me said...

Hi Patience

We got the short straw with our bank holidays.
Show me a petition, and I'll show you my signature.

Next Saturday it is. Looking forward to it. xx

Kate said...

I love the cat picture as well, because of the brightly colored doors. Is that the house of some lucky person that you know?

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

The picture was taken while I was having a stroll around a charming village. I thought the scene looked like a picture postcard, and couldn't resist capturing the image.

Mike M said...

Great pictures!

We have Labor Day coming up this Monday and then Thanksgiving is the next one

The World According to Me said...

Thanks Mike.

Hey, don't rub it in! Seriously though, hope you enjoy your future holidays.

Rebecca said...

Love the photo of the cats!! I think we have until Thanksgiving (4th Thursday of November) until my next holiday...there are other public holidays, but since I work in the private sector, no dice! Very smart to have saved up some vacation days. I don't think I'd make it either!!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

I'm pleased The Cats picture has been so popular. Always nice to receive comments, especially when someone has enjoyed looking at the picture of the day!

Roll on 4th November for you!