Tuesday, 7 August 2007

21st century Britain and the animal revolution

So as not to be become a complete New Car bore, today I will be covering different topics. I won’t even mention that the first thing I did this morning (apart from opening my sleepy eyes) was to rush to my bedroom window and take in the view of my newly parked motor vehicle.

Instead I will talk about, browsing the internet where I have come across a survey regarding the 21st century Britain.

Kate Moss and chavs 'now sum up UK'
Press Association 
Monday August 6, 2007 3:48 AM


Britain in the 21st century is best represented by a multicultural society, "chavs" and Kate Moss, according to a survey.

Harper's Bazaar surveyed 1,000 people for an issue of the new-look fashion magazine celebrating "everything British".

The poll found that "old Britain" is epitomised in the nation's collective consciousness by a stiff upper lip, impeccable manners and wartime leader Winston Churchill.

But Moss, 33, whose career was almost wrecked over pictures of the model allegedly chopping out lines of cocaine, best sums up modern Britain, along with multiculturalism and "chavs".

One in three believes the Queen is the nation's greatest living icon and 76% say fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood is the greatest English eccentric, according to the survey.

The research also found that mashed potato is the nation's favourite comfort food, while the countryside, the British sense of humour and a cup of tea is what Britons miss most when they travel abroad.

Asked what they would change if they could, 91% of people selected the weather.

On a scale of one to 10, the British rate themselves eight for sexiness.

The Burberry trench coat is Britain's most iconic fashion item, while 54% say Topshop is their favourite brand.

So that's Britain summed up, in the 21st century, according to 1,000 of us. (They didn't ask me though.)
I totally agree with the weather answer. We have far too much rain over here, and if you listen really carefully I'm sure you will hear a fellow Brit complaining about it right now. It's bound to be raining somewhere in Britain.
And how many times have I heard the earth shattering words, whether a tragedy is unfolding or a chin wag with friends is on the cards (especially in the soap opera 'Eastenders') - 'I'll put the kettle on and make a nice cup of tea.'
Personally I would rather have a strong coffee. Although I suppose the kettle theory still stands.
But mashed potato our favourite comfort food? Stick some bangers with it please, and tomato ketchup, then we're cooking with gas!
Not sure I agree with the Burberry trench coat bit? But I am a fan of Top Shop. Particularly the vintage stuff. Although a girl could get lost for days in the Top Shop store at Oxford Circus. So many clothes, so little time, normally.
As for chavs - I blame the comedy show Little Britain. Vicky Pollard has a lot to answer for.
And no, we are not all hoovering chemicals up our noses, like it's going out of (Kate Moss) fashion.


Another item I would like to include is the badge from: http://mminzes.blogspot.com/




He has a very entertaining post on his site ‘Revolution Update!!!’ Get the animals before they get us!

I have nicked some of his pictures for the pictures of the day, which I think are rather cute and amusing. (I hope you don't mind me stealing them Mike)



10 comments:

Rebecca said...

How funny to see sniper kitty on your blog!

Sorry to hear the Kate Moss sums up Britian to those surveyed. Blech. Oh, and what is/are "chavs"

Mike M said...

1000 people are hardly representative of your entire country. I hate studies like this. They do them all the time here.

The picture are yours. I found them while researching the Revolution story in the internet.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

For what it's worth, I have added my humble opinion to the survey results.

As for Chav's, I looked the definition up in the Wikipedia:

Chav or Charv/Charver even Chavster (male) and Chavette (female) ('ch' pronounced as in chair) is a mainly derogatory slang term in the United Kingdom for a subcultural stereotype fixated on fashions derived from American Hip-Hop fashions and stereotypes such as gold jewellery and designer clothing combined with elements of working class British street fashion. Chavs are generally considered to have no respect for society, and to be ignorant or unintelligent. The term appeared in mainstream dictionaries in 2005

The World According to Me said...

Hi Mike

Exactly, 1,000 people do not account for the whole of the population.

So there is hope for us yet!

Thanks for the pics.

Kate said...

If you ask my British husband whether he emigrated to get married to me or to avoid the rain, he will reply with the latter.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Kate

I can't say I blame him. Although I'm sure you have amazing qualities, as well as living in a dryer country. :0)

I've lurked in your blog before, and will pay another visit today.

JYankee said...

hey you brits are ALL the same... arent those what those studies are all about? its like saying u darn yankees! well..have to agree on the weather.. especially during wimbledon....

The World According to Me said...

Hi JYankee

Yep, what are we like hey. Us Brits and Yankees!

Wimbledon is a code word for: It's Bound To Rain.

Kate said...

Thanks for coming on my blog. I lurk on yours a lot, too. And thanks for defining "Chav". I have been following with some interest the recent emigration of David and Victoria Beckham to CA. Are you going to miss them? :) In today's paper, it was revealed that they will be launching a line of his & hers fragrances: "Intimately Beckham". My husband retched and almost fell off his chair.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

It was a pleasure to come over to yours and hear all about your trip. How's the feet now?!

As for the Beckhams, they may have moved to pastures newer and hotter, but believe me, they are still in every tabloid you lay your eyes on. Is there no escape from the Beckham brand?!

Funnily enough, I was reading a review on 'intimately yours' only yesterday. I have forgotten the exact words used to describe the scent, but it was something derogatory.
Hope your husband has recovered from this latest mad cap towards the Beckhams world domination!