Monday, 2 July 2007

Terrorism, memorials and holes in my cardigan

It has not been a good weekend in regards to terrorist attacks in the UK. Although in hindsight, things could have been a lot, lot worse.

On Friday, authorities thwarted coordinated bomb attacks in central London after an ambulance crew, outside a nightclub, spotted smoke coming from a Mercedes that turned out to be rigged with gasoline, gas canisters and nails. A second Mercedes filled with explosives was found hours later in an impound lot, where it was towed for parking illegally.

On Saturday, two men rammed a Jeep into the entrance of Glasgow airport, shattering the glass doors and igniting a raging fire. One of the suspects, his body in flames after the attack, was taken to the nearby Royal Alexandra Hospital, where police on Sunday carried out a controlled explosion on a vehicle they said also could be linked to the plot.

Five people have been arrested in connection with the foiled attacks.

On a friendlier note, Sunday saw the 'concert for Diana' at Wembley Stadium. This was held in memory of Diana, the Princess of Wales, on what would have been her 46th birthday. Prince Harry and Prince William joined 63,000 other people and 24 performers, to celebrate her life. The performers being such acts as Take That, Rod Stewart, Duran Duran, Joss Stone, Lilly Allen and Elton John. I saw various clips on the television.

And on this Monday, I am sitting at my desk having just finished my rocket salad, low fat cottage cheese with pineapple, and low fat spinach quiche (and I'm still hungry) and now I'm off to the shops on a cardigan hunt. Any one who knows me well, will know that my black cardigan is my security blanket. And this security blanket now has tiny holes appearing on the elbows, with the over usage. Holes in my cardi really won't do, so I'm off to track another one down and hoping that I don't get side tracked with any other items of clothing! Then again, retail therapy has always done the trick in the past, and it has been a while...

4 comments:

JYankee said...

I guess with the good news, there's always bad and terrorism is the worst isn't it... only because you'll never know where it'll turn up next.... Good luck with the retailing... good therapy!

The World According to Me said...

Good afternoon jyankee

Terrorism is indeed the worst, it's a very real and alarming situation. But as many people stated on the streets of London at the weekend, you have to go on with your life as normal as possible, you can't let them beat you in that respect.

Well, I'm back from the shops and I bought everything but a black cardigan! I did look everywhere for one, but do you think I could find one?! Couldn't resist the sale in House of Fraser though (old habits die hard) and I'm rather pleased with my items. That's it now for a very long time. I'm not allowed out at lunch time again!

Anonymous said...

bring your cardi over - I'll darn it for you tomorrow...
PS where had we been the night before Princess Diana died ? I remember bursting into D&G's room saying Diana's dead at 6am and we'd only just got in from somewhere xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hello anonymous

Only just seen this!

Funnily enough, I can't remember where we had been. No doubt we were up to no good!
All I can remember is switcing the telly on and hearing the tragic news.

xx