Wednesday, 25 July 2007

The day we went to Cambridge

Myself, my colleague (who is now my new boss) and the extremely tall publisher, journeyed to Cambridge today, to visit the premises of our new printers and sample a near by restaurant for lunch. It beats a day stuck in the office.
We managed to arrive an hour after the scheduled time, as we took a few wrong turns in the publishers car, which resulted in us admitting we were hopelessly lost and telephoning my contact twice, trying to figure out where the heck we were in relation to the printing site.
Finally found them, and arrived full of apologies for our late arrival. Coffee and biscuits were supplied in the boardroom (I had my eye on the chocolate biscuits but I didn't want to be the only one eating) and we discussed requirements and procedures for a new and healthy working relationship, between publishing house and printing company.
We are also British, so we discussed the weather - the terrible flooding conditions in the country. Thousands of people have been affected in Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Cambridgeshire and they have been left homeless and without electricity. I can not imagine what they are going through and count my lucky stars that it has not personally affected me, my family or my friends.
The Harry Potter mania was also discussed, it's sweeping the country and I no longer know a single person who has not read one of the books or watched one of the films. I shall be seated at the cinema tomorrow night, eagerly watching Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix.
After the boardroom meeting we had the grand tour of the factory, nodding our approval at the impressive printing machinery and the reprographics department.
Next it was time for lunch, which was a very appetising Thia curry with steamed rice, and couple of glasses of Sauvignon Blanc to cool down.
I arrived home an hour earlier than my normal working hours, so all in all it has not been a bad day.

'Picture of the day' below (I haven't forgotten my promise!)

The Small Bell Orchid.

4 comments:

JYankee said...

Beautiful photo....my MIL would love it..she's into those flowers.

The World According to Me said...

Thanks JYankee.

I focused on the Orchids at Kew Gardens. Can you see the rain drops on the delicate petals, from the continual down pour?!

Rebecca said...

mmm. I do so love being the client!!!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

More free lunches, that's what I say!
You have to have some perks in this industry/life.